Monday, October 19, 2009

BYU Mini Triathlon

Friday night as we were heading back from Cornbelly's my sister-in-law called to say she was doing a mini triathlon at BYU with her son Saturday morning and she wanted Dallin and I to join them. Dallin thought it sounded like fun so we agreed. I was a little nervous about my knee which has been hurting lately but thought I could work my way through it. More than that I was worried about Dallin and wondered if he realized what exactly he had agreed to do; a 6 mile bike around campus, a 1.8 mile run through campus, and an 800 meter swim at the pool.

Dallin and Kolby took off with the men without a worry. (It was amazing to see two such young boys among all these college men).

Joy and I followed with the women. It didn't take too long for me to catch up with the boys. I was still feeling a little worried about Dallin but since his cousin promised to stay with him I hoped they would figure it out. I told Ryan to wait at the transition area to help if they needed it.

Here he comes...

I limped my way through the run. For as much progress as I made on my bike I lost it all on the run but I was just happy to get that part over. I'll be seeing a doctor soon about that knee.

It's always such a relief to get in the pool. Even when people are going the wrong direction, or doing backstroke in front of me, I can still squeeze my way through and make up some time.

After I finished I waited with Joy (she kicked my butt once again) for the boys. I was so nervous that something might have happened or that they got too tired to finish. The best moment of the whole race was seeing those two boys run up in their swimsuits. I almost cried I felt so proud of them!

They jumped in the pool and immediately took off swimming. A volunteer standing nearby exclaimed, "hey, look at these two kids kicking butt!" They sure did too. Dallin caught up to some guy and eventually passed him and then caught up to another guy who beat him by an arm!


Dallin told me later that the run was the hardest part. He said he would run, then walk, then run, then walk. His cousin would run in place while he waited for Dallin to catch up. He told Dallin he wasn't doing this for the race but just to have fun and that he promised he would stay with Dallin no matter what. It meant so much to me that they stuck together and had fun and finished together! What awesome kids!


Ryan and Cameron said they're definitely going to do it next year. I can't wait!

2 comments:

Jacque said...

Wow, way to go Dallin! That was totally awesome!

Toad said...

That is so awesome...what a fun experience that he will always remember doing with his mom. You're an awesome mom. I think if I was ever going to try a triathlon, a mini one sounds great!