Friday, January 22, 2010

Retreat 2010!

It's that time of year again, hooray! We had our 7th annual retreat this past weekend and it was bigger and better than ever! We had the most people we've ever had this year. There were 36 women who spent the night and an additional 5 that came up for the Friday night dinner. We actually rented a new place this year to try to cut costs. I wasn't anticipating so many women being able to come. But it all worked out and everyone managed to find a place to sleep. Whether or not they actually slept is in question.

Every year it seems we get sillier and sillier, from accidental matching pajamas that two best friends bought at the same store at different times, to new hairdos and makeup it seems we're all finding the young girl still inside.



Seven years ago the Retreat started out as a scrapbooking weekend. It was a chance to get caught up without the constant distractions from home. Well, some of us still scrapbooked this year but it was amazing how many more women just relaxed, enjoyed visiting with one another and played games, myself included.

Besides the diehard scrapbookers I was amazed how many digital scrapbookers we had this year, at least half. I need to remember to pack extension cords next year.

With nowhere to go and no husbands to dress up for it was funny to see how many ladies wanted their hair and makeup done. Even I gave in this year and had my makeup done. It was my first makeover ever. I couldn't stop giggling but I still took notes. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to girly stuff.


The best part of the Retreat is always the food! We divide everyone up to either prepare a meal or clean up a meal. The ladies that prepare the meals do such a good job. Especially with the Friday night dinner; cheese fondue, steak and twice baked potatoes, and chocolate fondue for dessert. Yum!

There happen to be a lot of Smiths...

It's always hard to say goodbye, especially now that I've moved and live in a different neighborhood. These ladies have become my best friends and I'm so grateful for the Retreat and the chance to get to see them for a whole weekend every year!



As soon as I get a copy I'll post the picture we took of the whole group. It's amazing.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Lauren, you look FABULOUS!!! You are a trooper for heading it up!

Nikki said...

As your big sister - I am so proud of how you've grown up! You have so many friends and great experiences and adventures! Good job! Looks and sounds like it was a blast!

Britt said...

We DID have fun didn't we! How many days until the next one?

Stephanie T said...

That is so much Fun! I think it is so awesome that you plan this every year and include everyone.

You look very beautiful! I wouldn't call it much of a makeover though...your always pretty!

mreay said...

Awe...I miss you guys! I REALLY want to be there next year. Will you please send me the invite again? It is with-out-a-doubt a fantastic time :D