Sunday, February 28, 2010

Save Me Some Oranges

Yesterday I finished the Tuacahn Duathlon, without crying!

I did the race with my sister-in-law Joy, my friend Jamie, and Ryan. Ryan's brother Rich and Jamie's husband Kyle waited for us and took pictures. I kept joking that I was going to be so slow they were going to need to save oranges for me after the race. Every time I saw Rich I would say, "make sure you save me some oranges, I'm coming."

All joking aside, I was pretty nervous.

This is at my first transition just after my 5k run. As you can see most of the bikes are already gone. That's because I'm just about the slowest runner on the planet. I kept seeing Ryan and my friends pass me going the opposite direction. They were cruising! I was... well, I kept going.

Once I got on my bike I felt a lot better.

This is Ryan after the bike, getting ready for his last 5k run. He did awesome!

He says he felt dead here. I was soon to find out just how hard it is to run after riding 22 miles.

Still feeling good after my bike...

Now, I don't feel so great. I actually couldn't feel my feet until the turnaround at mile 1.5.

Ryan finished the race in 2 hours 11 min. I think that's amazing for doing a 6.2 mile run and a 22 mile bike!

I finished in a not so stellar 2 hours and 36 min. It may not have been competitive but for me it was actually a really good time. I did the 10k at about the same pace I did the Speedy Spaniard last summer but there was a 22 mile bike thrown in the middle. I was able to average 15 mph on my bike which I think is pretty good considering we went up Snow Canyon twice.

Ryan had two oranges waiting for me at the end!

The best part was going back to the house where Kyle and Jamie were staying and sitting in there hot tub! When Rich and Joy showed up Joy had a red medal hanging around her neck. She took 2nd for her age group. She rocks!

10 comments:

Jacque said...

Dang! Way to go! That is so awesome. Even better that no tears were shed!

VanDeezy said...

Fabulous Job Congrats!! Any idea where results are to be posted?

Ross and Kathy said...

Are we proud of Lauren & Ryan or what?

Leslie said...

I'm just in AWE!!!

Hugs from mom said...

Vandizzy - I think the results will be posted through Active.com or castlerock sports. I don't recognize your username?

Kelly M said...

Congratulations! I am so impressed!

Nikki Jenson said...

You guys are greakin crazy! Thats so awesome!

Britt said...

I'm so impressed. You're awesome! You deserve a whole ROOM full of oranges.

misha~sha-sha said...

Man, you almost motivate me to start running. Did I say almost? Hmmm. Congratulations and I do not think it's bad at all to only finish 25 minutes after Ryan. That's pretty amazing, if you ask me!

VanDeezy said...

Fifth by the results, 25 seconds behind Ryan, on his Facebook it says he got 1st place in his Division, but the Results put him in 4th and me 5th, wooohoo!