Saturday, March 20, 2010

Disneyland Day 1

Oh how I love Disneyland! Did you know I went to Walt Disney Elementary School and used to watch the fireworks from my bedroom window? I've had behind the scenes tours and a day with an employee and so many friends that have worked there over the years that it hasn't been until recently that I've had to pay to get in. Even without all of that I love it because it is sooooo clean, the people that work there are always nice, and the people that visit are happy.

So of course we were among the first people there Monday morning. The park wasn't even open yet so we got to take a fun family photo with Mickey Mouse. He's one of Austin's favorite characters lately thanks to the Disney Channel and he was so excited he couldn't lift his eyes to say hello.

Austin's first ride was actually Star Tours. I couldn't believe he was tall enough but sometimes size doesn't matter. He threw the biggest fit I've ever seen and refused to sit down on the ride. I had to take him out. I was so mad I couldn't even talk to him. We waited outside for the rest of the family and he finally came up to me and said he would give it a try. We ran back through (because there was still no line) and sat together for his first ride at Disneyland. He didn't love it. But I think he got the idea of what this day was going to be about and was a lot more willing to try other rides. If he didn't like one I didn't make him do it again. We ended up on Buzz Lightyear a lot!

This was also Eden's first trip where she was old enough to go on all the rides. She was even tall enough for California Screamin'. Unlike Austin she loved every ride she tried!



We came around the corner of Sleeping Beauty's castle and found Peter Pan hiding in the bushes. I thought for sure Dallin would want to take a picture with him but I guess Dallin's outgrown Peter Pan. I never thought that would happen. Peter was pretty funny though and dashed back into the bushes. Fortunately we caught him again on the other side.

We have a lot of neighbors and friends that are heading to California this March. Winter can be a little too long for some of us. So I wasn't surprised to see my neighbor and spin class buddy Amberlyn with her family on the Thunder Mountain Train ride.

I was so surprised that Eden and Austin lasted until the park closed without falling apart or asleep. They had wide eyes all day long just taking everything in.

We met up with Ryan's sister's family and his cousin Brandon's family later in the day. It was a little crazy with 12 kids and 6 adults all trying to keep up with each other. The worst part, though, was getting a call just as I sat down on the Buzz Lightyear ride with Austin and hearing Ryan's sister ask me if I had Eden. My heart dropped to the bottom of my stomach. It was the longest ride of my life! I frantically ran back to Space Mountain as soon as we were free but there were so many people I knew she could have been anywhere, with anyone. My first thought was to get an employee and let them know we had a lost child. Just as I found one I turned around to see Ryan walking up with Disneyland security. He said they had Eden at Lost Children. I wanted to finally breathe and throw up all at the same time.

When we got to Lost Children Eden wasn't even crying. The nicest lady I've ever met was talking sweetly to her and I thought, "this is why I love this place." She said Eden was able to walk up to a fruit stand worker and explain that she had lost her parents. They took her to Lost Children and there she described her Dad to the "T". She said he's tall, bald, wearing a brown hat and a green jacket. They found Ryan within minutes. I was so proud of Eden and how calm she was. They told me the best thing to do with young children at Disneyland is write your cell number on a sheet of paper and put it in their pocket so that if they get lost Security can just call you. I thought that was brilliant!

Needless to say I felt sick the rest of the night and didn't let Eden or Austin out of my sight for the rest of the time we spent at Disneyland. But the one comforting thing the Security guy told me was that they hadn't lost a single child in over 50 years. Disneyland is awesome!

3 comments:

Ross and Kathy said...

Great Photos!

Amberlyn said...

Hi Lauren!
Looks like you had just as much fun as we did in Disneyland!! I love it cause it's so clean too!! It just adds to the atmosphere and feel that only Disneyland can bring!
It was so much fun to run into you! What a small world! Especially in Disneyland!!
Love the photo of the two of us!
So much fun!!

Missed you spin class yesterday!! Better see you there Monday!!

Stephanie T said...

Lauren, you made me want to go to Disneyland! Which is saying alot because I am not much of an amusement park person.

What a fun vacation to take your family on!

So glad that you found Eden quickly, thanks for sharing that tip about the cell #.