Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday Tidbit

I've learned a lot of interesting things over the years about health, nutrition, and just how to feel good overall.  I guess you could say it's something that's really important to me.  I like to feel good.  I like to be healthy and happy and there are definitely some things that make it easier to feel good and enjoy life.  I've decided to devote a little time on my blog to sharing the things that I've learned.  I'm going to call it Tuesday Tidbits and try every Tuesday to share something that I've learned that makes me feel good or makes my life a little bit easier and happier.

I may also take advantage of this space on my blog to share things I want my kids to know when they get older.  You know, motherly advice.  I'm always surprised when my mom shares things with me that she did when we were younger and I want to say "Why didn't you tell me that years ago?"  So I want to devote a few Tuesday Tidbits to my children about things that I've learned as a mother that also make my life easier and happier.  And maybe when I'm done I'll collect all these tidbits into a book that I can give them when they're older.  

So my first tidbit for today was a no brainer.  I'm a HUGE fan of Emergen-C.  


 I was first introduced to this fizzy little drink by a friend who was helping me train for a few races.  She said it can help you recover after a hard workout.  Ryan and I had at least one a day last winter.  You may remember some of my crazy runs in 9 degree weather last year?  I would have one of these after every run and I never got sick!  Not one single cold all winter!  When I started to get that little tingle in my sinuses or started to sneeze I would have an extra cup and wham bam, no cold.  I was shocked and sold!

This year I gave my kids a cup every time they started to complain of a sore throat.  It cut their sick time in half!  I didn't drink as much during my pregnancy because I couldn't find any sure information on how safe it was and man did I miss it!  I'm not saying it's a cure all but I know from personal experience that it definitely boosts your immune system.  It is also a great little pick me up at 4 pm (I call it the "witching hour") when you're starting to feel run down and craving something sweet or salty.

When my mom was in the hospital after her stroke last fall I brought her a few packs and watched to make sure she actually drank them.  I was so paranoid that she would catch some kind of cold while she was there. Well, she didn't and even said herself that the Emergen-C made her feel good.  She's still drinking a glass a day!

I think it tastes great plain, just mixed into a small 6 oz. glass of water, but we also like to mix it into protein shakes and fruit smoothies.  It gives it a nice little zing.

So give it a try!  I think you'll be surprised.  And next time you feel a cold coming on, take two!

p.s you can buy a big box (40 packets of super orange and 40 packets of raspberry) at Sams or Cosco.  You can buy individual boxes of 40 packets at WalMart and probably most other grocery stores.  It is usually located in the pharmacy section.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I am so going to look forward to Tuesdays now on! Now, where do you buy this wonderfulness because I know I need it!

Ross and Kathy said...

Nothin' quite as good as bein' healthy.