Sunday, July 27, 2008

By the Way

I haven't had a chance to post it yet, but I did run in the Speedy Spaniard on Thursday, and... I made it! I finished my first 10k which was also my first race, ever.

So, 6.2 miles is a lot further than I thought. I am so grateful for my running buddy Emily who kept my mind off of how bad my shins hurt and how long we were taking. It was fun to run with her and enjoy the beautiful morning. She had never run farther than 4 miles and I had never run more than 5 so when we got to those milestones we cheered for each other. Just as we came up on the last mile the children's race started. Her son was running in it and she really wanted to see him so we picked up the pace. He ended up finishing just a few people before us. Sorry Emily, I'll try to go faster next time. Next time?

Ryan also ran the race, along with some friends from the neighborhood and a few hundred other people. I had no idea it was such a big race. I felt a little silly being so far in the back but Emily and I managed to keep a steady pace and run the whole way. I can't really call myself "Speedy" but I'm proud to say I'm not a quitter either.

I feel a real sense of accomplishment at finishing a goal. It was a challenge and I did it!

4 comments:

Amy said...

That is so awesome! You are so inspiring, Lauren!

J and J Haroldsen said...

Way to Go!!! All your hard work must have felt great crossing that finish line!!

Karin said...

You are awesome!!! I was going to run that and then my knee started acting funny, and I decided that I was too old. So you are a much better person (and athlete) than me. You rock!

mreay said...

Way to go Lauren! I am so proud of you, that is a big accomplishment. Someday I want to run one, maybe you can help train me. Hope all is well, I love checking in on your blog. Did you get the invite to mine?