Friday, January 23, 2009

Does Austin have VA Insurance?

Some guy from the Census Bureau has been trying to get a hold of me for the past two days. I was finally home yesterday when he called, again, and said he just had a few questions about the survey I recently filled out. The survey only has room for information on five people in your household so he needed to ask some questions about Austin (who didn't fit on the questionnaire). He asked me Austin's birthdate and confirmed Austin is two years old. Then he asked if Austin was Hispanic, Latino, or South American?

"Uh, no," I said, "he's white." But he proceeded to ask if he was Indian, Native American, African ... etc for a few minutes. I kept trying to interrupt and repeat, "he's white, just like the rest of us." The guy finally whispered into the phone that he had to read the whole list. Okay.

Then he asks if Austin's covered by Insurance. I said yes, then he asks if Austin has supplemental insurance, VA insurance, medicare, medicaid, disability insurance,... at this point I just started laughing. VA Insurance? He's two!

Then he asks in the last twelve months how much money Austin has made. At this point I was totally cracking up on the phone. The final straw was when he asked, out of the blue, what nationality Cameron's ancestry was. "Uh, the same as her parents, and Dallin, and Eden, and Austin?" C'mon people, we're a family. I've always been one to appreciate accuracy and people that are detail oriented but this was a little ridiculous. At least I had a good laugh and the guy was nice and it only took five minutes of my time.

3 comments:

Here at home said...

Some of those questions are a crack up. I'm waiting for them to call me. I'll have to remember those questions when they call.
I guess if you thought about all the families that adopt children from other countries or with different nationalities, or those households where there is one mother and several different fathers (as is the case for my cousin with a different father for each of her children)for the children, those questions might make sense.
Hey, thanks for the get together today. It's fun catching up. You look great and your children are beautiful. I feel bad, now I didn't bring mine along. I guess next time.

Jill said...

Glad you could laugh at the phone call!

Breanne said...

You just don't want the rest of us to know how much Austin made in the last year...