Monday, February 23, 2009

Draper Utah Temple

We went as a family today to the Open House for the Draper, Utah Temple that will be dedicated in March. I really appreciated the opportunity to take the kids through the temple and explain to them some of what happens there and let them feel what it's like inside.

I don't think Eden really understood what we were doing until I told her we were going to see the place where people get married. She giggled, like the princess she is. But the whole time we were walking through she kept whispering "When are we going to see the place where people get married?" It was the last stop but I don't think she was disappointed.

I think Dallin and Cameron were most impressed with the Celestial room. Dallin whispered to me that the chandelier and other lights made it seem like even the air was whiter. That was a significant observation for me. It is a beautiful room.

Cameron said she was so glad to go because she pictured temples being totally different. She didn't realize that it was such a beautiful, comfortable place to be. I think it made temples seem less mysterious and more special to her and got her excited for the time when she's old enough to go there on a regular basis.

We went out for dinner afterwards and Austin kept shouting that he wanted to go back to the temple. I hope he at least was left with an impression that the temple is an extra special house of the Lord.

I've never been through a temple open house before and I appreciated the feeling of welcome. It felt like a place that was calling me to stay and be at peace. It was nice to walk through the rooms slowly and take in some of the intricate details. I could tell that a lot of talent and love was invested in that special place. It also made me want to go back like it did for Austin. It's a place I know I need to visit more often regardless of which temple it is.

No comments: