Monday, November 9, 2009

Telos Turkey Tri

I survived my second Telos Turkey triathlon on Saturday. Ryan did it with me this year and I was pleasantly surprised to see my good friend Kelly there. Of course Joy and her son Kale did it too. In all there were 390 people that participated.

The weather was much warmer this year which was great. I was still really nervous but once the race began I already felt calmer than last year. My results: I finished in 1 hour 19 min. (8 minutes faster than last year). I did the 3.1 mile run in 31:44 min. (gotta improve that somehow). The bike was 10 miles with a super steep climb up 400 south in Orem that you do twice (it's a loop) which I did in 35:46 min. Then the swim which was 350 meters that I did in just under 9 min. (not so good for me but the pool was super crowded). Overall I took 11th in my age division out of 28. I'm happy because I see improvement over last year. I really pushed myself on the bike to make up time for my run and I'm pretty happy with everything overall.

I look at my sister in law who is 41 and finished in 1 hour 13 minutes and it gives me hope that I can still improve (I'm not too old). Last year we finished the triathlon within seconds of each other. She put in a lot of hours biking and running this summer and it's paid off. She's my inspiration.

Ryan did great for his first triathlon. He took 33rd out of 215 men! And he's hardly had time to train and can't swim! He finished just a few seconds after my sister in law but still at 1 hour 13 min. His run was 24:49 minutes, his bike 34:41 min., and his swim 10:15 min. I'm so proud of him!

2 comments:

Ross and Kathy said...

WAY TO GO LAUREN!

Nikki Jenson said...

Lauren, thats so awesome! Everytime I get on the treadmill I wonder how you can keep going. I barely last half an hour doing only 2 miles!