Sunday, June 27, 2010

Shadow Mountain

At the beginning of June Dallin attended Shadow Mountain, a camp for boys in 5th grade. He was able to sign up with a few of his school buddies but he also made a few more friends once he got there. At first I was hesitant to send him, he is my baby you know, firstborn male and all that. Just kidding. I had all the typical fears a mother has when sending her little boy away for three days. But my fears were unfounded. He had such a good time.

They hiked, panned for gold, played games, and did some leather printing, archery, and map and compass "stuff". The camp counselors told funny stories every night and had strict rules about lights out and when to wake up (like you couldn't get out of bed before 7:30). That was probably hard for Dallin who's used to getting up at 6:45 for swim practice. He came home dirty and happy. He didn't even miss me! I guess my baby is growing up. I know experiences like this are good for him and will make it easier when he eventually has to leave for a mission. But is there a camp to prepare Mom's for when their children leave?

1 comment:

Ross and Kathy said...

Rights of Passage. Pretty cool.