Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tuesday Tidbit #5

Change Your Furnace Filter

I'm embarrassed to admit that I never knew this until I owned my own home but I've learned that it's an important part of home and personal health.  In my home both the furnace and the air conditioner run air through the filter. A dirty filter causes your furnace to run inefficiently because it has to work harder to pull air through the intake.  If the furnace or air conditioner have difficulty pulling in air they will use more energy, wasting money, and will eventually be damaged. A dirty filter can also trap pollutants in your home.  An effective filter can remove pollen, bacteria, and mold spores from the air.  It is recommended to change your filter every three months and every two months if you have pets or live in an area of greater pollution.

I haven't come up with a great system for remembering when to change my filter.  I just mark the day on my calendar and then mark the next day, three months later, when it should be changed again.  If it seems like my allergies are particularly bad or we're all getting colds too often then I will change it before the three month reminder and mark another three months on my calendar.

If you have a great system for remembering when to change your filter let me know.

2 comments:

Stephanie T said...

I do have a great system for remembering all the little upkeep stuff around the house. I made it up myself, but can send it to you. I think I need your email though.

It's basically a checklist for every month of different things to check, fix, or replace throughout the year. You would probably need to modify it since you aren't doing a whole lot of landscaping in January. But I can send it to you and you can change it to what works for you. It's in a publisher file but I could probably export it to word.

I print it off and keep it in a household binder that I have with important numbers and stuff like that.

Sheri said...

I also put a post it note on the furnace door with the dates I have changed the filter, so I can look really easily and see when it needs to be done.