Monday, August 29, 2011

County Swim Finals

For the final swim meet of the season the kids qualify for one of three meets, bronze, silver or gold.  All 6 and under swimmers swim at the bronze meet no matter their times, I guess because there aren't very many of them.  So the bronze meet, for Eden, was scheduled for July 27th.  As you can tell from the picture below the weather did not cooperate with us.  She swam a 4x100 relay (and won!) and that was it.  We sat there for three hours waiting for the lightning to stop but it got worse before it got better so we finally went home.  They rescheduled Eden's meet for the next day.


When we got to Eden's meet the next day the coaches begged me to be a timer.  They told me that they couldn't start the meet until they had all the timers.  I was there with Five Kids!  But because I'm a sucker and Dallin and Cameron rock, I agreed.  Dallin watched the baby (until Ryan came and took over) and Cameron made sure Eden got to all her races on time.  I'm not sure what Austin did (I think he spent three hours playing on the ipad) but I'm so proud of those kids for being so helpful!

You are never going to believe how well Eden did... she took 2nd, in the county, for her 25 freestyle!  She was so fast.  I was timing the girl in my lane and didn't get to see Eden's finish but she was neck and neck with the girl that took first.  It was amazing!  I was so proud of her.  And guess what else?  She took 1st for her breastroke (because she was the only one who didn't get disqualified)!  At their end of the year party she got a plaque mentioning both races and her stellar accomplishment.  I'm bummed I didn't get any pictures because I was timing.

Cameron qualified for the Gold meet this year.  She worked so hard getting up so early every day.  I could tell she was nervous and I was nervous for her.  We all went to her meet Saturday morning and then Ryan took the other kids to help my sister move into her new house.  


This is Cameron doing her 50 freestyle.  She got a really late start and got one of her worst times of the season.  It was so sad but the meet was crazy.  They had the kids doing flyovers so they could make the meet go as fast as possible. Cameron said she got confused and flustered and so she started late.  We'll have to remember how crazy it is next year.


I thought for sure things would go better for Cameron for her butterfly.  She looked like she was going to take 2nd but when she walked up to me after the race she was crying.  They disqualified her because they said she didn't touch the wall with two hands which is totally strange because she knew to touch with two hands and I saw her touch the wall and it looked like she touched with two hands to me.  I was so sad for her.


There's a lot of free time between races.  Fortunately even Evelyn likes to play with the ipad.



Cameron's breastroke went really well, finally.  It was a good way to end the day.  Ryan and the kids had made it back in time to watch this race which was nice too.  We all went out for smoothies before we went home.  My heart still aches a little for Cameron's disappointing day but she had a really good attitude about it and is just as committed as ever to keep trying and swim again next year.  I love that girl.

No comments: