Friday, May 24, 2013

Spring Break, The Grand Canyon

On Wednesday April 3rd we went to see The Grand Canyon! It was pretty impressive!



We took a hike for a mile and a half down into the canyon with all of the kids. I wish we had the backpack for Evelyn because the sheer drops made me nervous. But all of the kids did really well.



There were a lot of switchbacks but at least the view was impressive the whole time.



Evelyn has some issues with animal droppings ever since she saw the cows at the end of our road pooping in the grass. Ryan explained these droppings were from horses. She said, "No my like horses. Horses poop on the ground. That's gross. Disgusting." I think she believes the animals are unkempt because they can't poop in the potty like she does.


I usually hang out towards the back on hikes so I can keep an eye on all my ducks. But my biggest duck tends to be concerned about me lately and likes to stay with me. It's really sweet. I wish I was as compassionate as Dallin is.




This was as far as we went. I was really worried that Ryan would get too tired carrying Evelyn for so long and she seemed pretty tired too.


When we got back up we were greeted by this fine fellow.


Thank goodness for the trams to take you along the rim.


Somebody wasn't happy with me for a little while. I had to sneak this picture.


As the sun began to set the shadows and colors of the canyon really came alive.





We made up. I love how quickly children can be forgiving. He held my hand the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, later that night we left the restaurant where we had dinner without him. I got a phone call from a sweet older lady telling me she was with Austin. Fortunately, we were just across the street at the Imax but Austin thought we were already headed back on the long drive to Flagstaff. Poor thing. He was so brave. And I was so proud of him for knowing my cell phone number and finding a sweet older couple to help him. (But yeah, I won the loser mom award for the day).



Here are some pictures with Eden's camera.



This looks like it should be an advertisement for Aeropostale clothes.



This one freaks me out. I still have issues with heights.


Ryan and Evan ran back to get the cars and we got the kids some ice cream. I took this picture with my cell phone. I think it's my favorite.