Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Memories

Sometimes I find myself at this time of year getting lost in the anxiety of all that needs to be done and acting more like an Ebenezer scrooge. But this year as I set out my traditional Holiday decorations I found myself reminiscing about the Christmas' of my childhood. Instantly sights and sounds and smells came back as if it were yesterday.


One of my favorite things was the way the morning sun made all the decorations and ornaments sparkle making the house feel wonderous and magical.


I also remember the subtle reminders of Holiday cheer. Tokens of the Spirit of Christmas on every mantle and in every corner.


I can still feel the excitement in my stomach when I remember taking turns hanging ornaments on our freshly cut tree. And I loved the smell of pine that greeted me every day as I came home from school.


The house always seemed warmer and brighter and happier, filled with freshly baked treats and holiday music.


It was hard to count down the days. One in every six was my turn to hang a decoration for the advent calendar and it seemed the days just didn't go fast enough.

I realize now that all these memories were gifts given to me through the quiet efforts of my mother who arranged and baked and wrapped and bought all without my hardly noticing. I can't imagine how much work it was for her with six children to think of and buy for (especially without Amazon and free delivery).

There were school parties and ballet recitals and piano recitals. There was driving around to see lights and ward Christmas parties and Woolf family parties and so many things that made December wonderful as a child. And I don't remember ever hearing my mom complain. In fact I don't remember much of her face at all. I think my memories are too full of the things that she did for me that I forgot to notice her.

But at this time in my life I feel grateful to her for making Christmas special and wonderful and magical, just for me. I've been watching my own children over the past few weeks as Christmas draws closer and have found a new sense of joy in hearing them sing carols as we drive in the car and laugh as Austin exclaims, "Christmas Lights!" at every house he sees. I've heard the quiet whispers as they try to guess what Santa might bring and I've noticed their own excitement at counting down the days by hanging an ornament from the Advent calendar.

There are so many traditions at Christmas time but for me, this year I've added one more. The opportunity to bring Joy to my children. How easy it is to forget the sacrifice of our Savior that we might all feel Joy. In comparison it is a little effort to bring a smile to my child's face. But Christ made the greatest effort that we might smile every day of every year. For Him I am forever grateful and for my mother I am also grateful.

7 comments:

Rachelle Sorensen said...

I really liked your Christmas memories. Cute blog too!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly M said...

I love the photos! You are becoming an excellent photographer

Here at home said...

So, are you into photography? Those really are awesome pictures. How fun. Thanks for bringing back the memories for me. Sometimes in my scrooginess, I forget that I need to make it fun for my kids. This is a great reminder for me what it was like when I was a kid.

Breanne said...

This was a really sweet post. It made me feel the Christmas spirit.

Toad said...

Thanks for the thoughts! I totally agree with you. Christmas can become so hectic that we forget to enjoy it and we forget the true meaning. Thanks for the reminder. Miss you!!

Sheri said...

You are aan excellent writer and photographer. I love to read your blogs!