Thursday, December 4, 2008

Mama's Little Helpers

Ryan's been gone all week for a training in Arizona and I'm feeling a little exhausted. It seems there are always extra things to do in December in addition to all the normal daily responsibilities. To say the least, it's a rotten time for Ryan to be out of town. So, on that note, I have to say that I owe my kids a big huge "Thank you" for stepping up and helping out.

In particular I was touched by Cameron last night. I was trying to give Eden and Austin a quick bath after dinner so I could hurry and clean up the kitchen and get to the church by 7:00 for the youth activity. Since Eden is terrified of being left anywhere alone I was hanging out in the bathroom trying to speed things along when Cameron came upstairs and said, "how about I watch Eden and Austin in the bath so you can clean up the kitchen and then when they're done I'll take my shower." I felt an instant sigh of relief and asked Cameron if she felt like she could wash their hair too. She was more than willing.

By the time I got the kitchen cleaned up the kids were done with their bath and I was able to get Austin dressed before I had to leave. Dallin was great to keep an eye on things until Grandma got here. She said when she came in that the house was peaceful and all the kids were downstairs playing nicely with each other.

I'm so grateful for my children and their willingness to help when needed. I appreciate their compassion and love for me and for each other. They have their moments, of course, but its days like these that show me they're growing up to be considerate and responsible and that they truly care for one another.

1 comment:

misha~sha-sha said...

You have made it! That is the ultimate goal of motherhood, isn't it? I know you haven't "made it, made it" yet...they still need you for lots of things. But that just shows that you are well on your way! You have taught them and trained them and worked with them and now they can do so much for themselves and each other. And as a sidenote, I can hardly wait until I can leave Hadley in charge for a few minutes while I run a quick errand. Go Lauren! Oh, and sorry for the out of town hubby in December. I'm going crazy this month with my husband around. I feel for you!