Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Who's Doing The Shopping?

I was at the store with Austin this morning trying to find ingredients for Christmas treats. Jacque called with a question and after talking to her for a minute I realized Austin had thrown a container of Bread Crumbs in the cart. I asked him to put them back because we don't eat those. He says, "but I want it."

Huh, I thought, that's a weird thing to want. I kept prodding trying to get him to put them back but he only got angrier. So I took the container and put it back on the shelf. "Mommy can't eat this," I said. "I don't cook with this. We can't buy it."

Next thing I know Austin has grabbed another container and throws it into the cart. "I like it!" he huffs. Okay then, I thought, time to give up on that argument.

So, in the next isle I see Austin looking carefully at a box of My Little Pony fruit snacks and hear him mumbling something about "Eden will like it". And then he throws it into the cart. I had a list in my hand but Austin obviously felt like he had some shopping of his own to do.

3 comments:

misha~sha-sha said...

We've had that experience a few times but my personal favorite was a time when I was sort of stressed, I had a list, needed a bunch of stuff and realized about halfway through the trip that Maddox was removing things from the cart. I still love him but at that moment...GRRRR! Kids are great. Just keep telling yourself that. :)

Brigette-boo said...

Olivia is famous for that! the problem is she is five and knows better,,,,doesn't stop her from trying every week though!

Here at home said...

Lauren, I just got your cute Christmas card and am excited to see you have a blog. Can I add you to my blog list?
Thanks for the card. My husband was just wondering if we were going to do one this year. I will leave that up to him, this time. Or, maybe not.
Cute post. It's called choosing your battles. I need to work on that.