Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Little Life Lesson

I was driving in the car with Eden this morning when she suddenly tells me, "Mom, there's a sign on the grass by Grandma's house that says if your dog poops you have to pick it up with your fingers."

I told her that it probably meant that you needed to pick up the dog poop with something like a shovel, but not your fingers.

She said, "Yeah, or you could wear one of those finger things for your things."

I said, "Yeah, you could probably wear a glove for your fingers to clean it up."

She said, "Or if it's dry you could pick it up with your fingers."

I said, "No, Eden, even if it's dry please don't pick it up with your fingers."

She said, "Oh, well one time at Haydn's house I picked it up with my fingers when it was dry."

Austin, who had been quiet up until now says, "Ooooohhhh! That's gross."

When we got home I made the kids lunch and just after she sat down to eat Eden jumped back up again and ran into the bathroom. I walked by and overheard her repeating to herself, "You always wash your hands before lunch." I asked her who taught her that and she said, "Grandma did." I pictured a similar "dog poop" conversation between Eden and Grandma after seeing the sign on the lawn by Grandma's house. I'm very grateful that Grandma took advantage of that opportunity to teach Eden an important lesson, to always wash her hands before lunch. (Because we never know what Eden might have thought was okay to pick up.)

6 comments:

Breanne said...

I think this is one of those "All I need to know I learned in Kindergarten" moments.

Nikki Jenson said...

I'm laughing my head off thru this whole thing! My 3 yr old's fingers smell like shes always got them down her pants - (cuz she does!) -oh its awful!

Barney Family said...

That's hysterical!

Here at home said...

Yeah, I don't even want to think about where my kids hands have been. We have left over dog poop from the previous owners and with all the snow melting, they seem to be finding it. Gross!

J and J Haroldsen said...

I'm with Austin on this one!

Dani said...

okay...that was hilarious! she is sooo funny! and i love that age because you can truly see what is going on inside their cute little heads by the conversations they have with you (and with themselves!) :)