Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Namesake

Last night Dallin told me he learned in church on Sunday that one of Dallin H. Oaks motto's was "work first, play later." He said he was going to try to adopt that same motto and that he had already started. On Mondays Dallin and Cameron take piano lessons from a good friend of mine. They both go together and usually while one is having a lesson the other is playing with her children. So Dallin told me yesterday her son asked if Dallin could help unload the dishwasher. Dallin said he thought of that motto and how he's been unloading the dishwasher for me in the mornings as part of a scout goal and said he would be glad to help. Then he helped her daughter clean up her room. He told me he felt really good helping them get the work done so they could play afterwards. He said he knows adults always work first and then play later but kids usually just want to play all the time and he sees that it's important to learn how to work hard right now.

I know Dallin really looks up to Dallin H. Oaks. When I was pregnant with Dallin, Ryan and I went into a home decor shop and happened to see a Santa Clause doll holding a list of children's names. The name "Dallin" was on that list and Ryan and I both felt like that was a good name for our child. We were looking for a name that would represent the characteristics we hoped our son would have. We wanted him to be responsible, a good example to his younger siblings, considerate, kind, and loving. We thought of Dallin H. Oaks and how he exemplified those attributes and hoped that someday our son would look to him as an example of how a representative of Christ should be.

I know Dallin exemplifies all of those attributes and more but it was also inspiring to see him embrace his namesake and adopt a noble motto from that great man. I am grateful for men like the prophet and apostles who my children can look up to and pattern their lives after.

No comments: