Friday, May 8, 2009

Artistic Expressions

I was tending a bunch of cute little girls this morning when Austin came upstairs looking quite deflated. I could tell he'd had enough of the girls telling him to get out of the way and stop knocking over their play houses and destroying their setup. So I asked him if he would like to color at the counter. He said he wanted to paint instead. A little while later I walked by and was really impressed. He said he was painting this picture for his Dad.



I could tell he was really focusing on what he was doing and the colors he was choosing. It made me think of my family, all artists. My Dad makes some incredibly amazing things out of wood, my aunt uses water color professionally and I have several of her stunning pieces, my Dad's wife can crotchet, my sisters can all draw and paint, and even my children love to color and are improving frequently. I too have to admit I have a talent for drawing and coloring. Unfortunately I don't have time to explore this talent as much as I'd like. So, when I saw Austin coloring today I felt that quiet stirring that so often comes when you recognize a familiar passion. I remembered how relaxing it is to just sit and focus and pour your heart onto a piece of paper. (Well, maybe he wasn't that into it). But I used to find so much peace through artistic expression. Not that I'm despairing. It might not happen right now but I have several works of art hanging in my house that my grandmother painted later in her life when she had time for classes and time to sit and focus. My time will come. For right now though I enjoy watching my children express themselves and develop their talents. I think it's beautiful.

4 comments:

Breanne said...

I can paint a wall, does that count? I'm assuming that's what you meant.

Ok, that's a lie, I've never even painted a wall. *sigh*

Nikki Jenson said...

I have painted a wall! Yeah for me! And I paint people's 'hair' everyday! Just ask Jack, he's always telling Erika when its time to go get her hair painted by Auntie Nikki. (Although I have to admit, I'd really like to paint on 'canvas' too!)

Britt said...

I know what you mean. Creating is so therapeutic.

He is too cute, Lauren. And I love the track meet posts. Your children are beautiful.

Brigette-boo said...

I love the way you write.