Thursday, September 2, 2010

To The Beat Of His Own Drum

I know I need to post pictures of the first day of school for three of my kids this week and I'll get to that, I promise, but I just have to document something Austin said the other day because that would be something I would forget and it's just to cute.  (I did post this on Facebook so if you've already read it feel free to "move along".)

We were on our way to pick up the kids from piano (Eden's first lesson by the way) when Austin says, "Mom, did Jesus make the world so we couldn't bug him?"  My first thought was to explain the meaning of life and our purpose here on Earth until I realized exactly what it was he said.  All I could do was laugh.  I laughed so hard that his friend in the backseat started laughing and then Austin started laughing.  They, of course, had no idea why.  But I was picturing God sending us all down here so we could just get out of his hair for a while.

Austin is such a funny kid and it just comes out of nowhere.  The other night while we were eating dinner he says, "What if I put my ketchup in a cup, and then I put in salt, and then that other white salt (sugar), and then how 'bout some chocolate milk, and then maybe regular milk, wouldn't that be gross."  We were all just staring at him because we don't EVER do "grosser than gross".  I couldn't fathom how the idea popped into his head. We all started laughing and the other kids pitched in their ideas for how to make his concoction even more disgusting.  I wasn't sure if I should be appalled and stop the whole thing or just let it go because Austin just runs to the beat of his own drum.

And finally, speaking of his own drum, after we went shopping for our newest baby girl last week I took Eden and Austin to another store to get them a couple of things.  I was looking at long sleeve shirts for him when he says, "Oh Mom, I have to have this."  I looked down and he was taking a pair of camo pants off the rack.  I looked around for someone to share the moment with and found some random lady and said, "My other son wouldn't be caught dead in camo pants.  How does a four-year old know he likes camo?"  She shrugged and laughed.  (Yes, I often talk to complete strangers because sometimes a four and five-year old just aren't good enough).  Austin was so proud of his new pants he brought them out to show Ryan as soon as he got home from work.

I love this kid.  He is so full of energy and cracks me up.  Sometimes it's a relief to know that children come with their own unique personalities and talents that will make the world brighter.  And I am in no way to blame for some of the crazy things that come out of their mouths or into their heads.

4 comments:

Jacque said...

I saw those camo pants hanging in the back of your closet! Just kidding. That was hilarious! Everybody needs comic relief and it sounds like Austin's got the meaning of life down pat!

Ross and Kathy said...

What a terrific personality! And I think YOU have a terrific personality.

Stephanie T said...

That is so cute and great of you to capture his personality so vividly.
Hey, you should friend me on FB, I looked for you but I only found Ryan.

Sheri said...

Your whole family is hilarious! You are a very good writer!