Sunday, September 14, 2008

Profound Thoughts From a Three-year Old

Yesterday Eden was playing with a neighbor and, as happens sometimes, they got in a fight. Ryan ran downstairs to mediate and resolve the problem. He decided that Eden needed to apologize but when he asked her to say "sorry" she said, "no". So he asked her "why not" and she said she just didn't want to. When he asked her why she didn't want to she said, "because sometimes sorry is a big word."

It made me think of all the times it's been hard for me to say I'm sorry, even when I know I'm wrong but wanted to be right. It's one thing to know you've done something that's hurt someone else but it's another thing to admit it to them. One thing I am always amazed at is how quickly my children apologize when they've done something wrong, even if, as Eden put it, it's hard. I also get to see the results of quick and sincere remorse in that, their relationships with each other and their friends gets stronger. It's been a motivator for me (because saying sorry hasn't been a strong attribute of mine) but I find the same results when I'm quick to apologize, even when it hurts (just my pride). I've seen my own relationship with my husband and my children grow stronger as I admit to hurts that I've caused them and apologize sincerely and try to do better. Isn't that what repentance is all about? I can see the beauty of humbling myself and feeling the love of forgiveness as my home becomes a happier, more peaceful place to live.

2 comments:

Kelly M said...

Um I wonder who that neighbor girl was? What a great post! We can learn so much from these little ones! P.S. I am excited about your house. I know the next few weeks will be stressful, let me know what I can do to help.

Lori said...

Thank you for this post. Sorry can be a big word. I love that she explained it that way. Eden is a grown-up...love that girl!