Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Making New Friends

When we went to church on Sunday Ryan just walked up to people and said, "Hi, I'm Ryan Smith I just moved in to the ward." I was conciously trying to keep my mouth closed because I was so impressed he could do that. I felt so overwhelmed by all the new people I didn't know what to say to anyone. In addition I can never remember anyone's name, especially when I meet a million people all at once. It's always been difficult for me. I prefer to meet people one at a time so I can have a conversation with them and actually remember their face and their name.

So, my strategy this week has been to use the excuse that Eden needs a playdate. I have met two very nice neighbors and their very sweet four year old daughters. And, I can actually say that I remember their names.

We have had a few families stop by and introduce themselves, and (to Cameron's delight) brought treats. I think I remember their names. Cameron also had an achievement days activity last night where I re-met some people from Sunday and hopefully will remember their names when I see them again. There are a lot of familiar people from the elementary school, soccer teams, and previous wards we've been a part of. I just wish I had Ryan's talent for remembering people the first time I meet them.

I'm sure it will just take time but it makes me appreciate all the great friends we have made over the past eight years in our last neighborhood. I miss them already, even though I still see them. I think it's just knowing I need to be more outgoing than I've had to be in a long time. The challenge is daunting but I'm trying.

No comments: