Sunday, December 20, 2009

Dallin's Birthday

All Dallin wanted for his birthday this year was to go play laser tag with his buddies and uncles. But I knew something else Dallin wanted...

First, the newest book in the Ranger's Apprentice series...

Then, some targets to go along with the bales of straw I've been collecting in the backyard (he was kind of confused at this point)...

Until he opened this! If you've read any of the books in the Ranger's Apprentice series you can appreciate how ecstatic he was to get this 60" recurve bow and real fletched arrows.

(Now we just have to learn how to string the bow. That's a job for YouTube).

He had a fun, but quick, pizza party with his friends and then headed off to play laser tag. Several of the Uncles showed up to play too and that meant the world to Dallin. Cameron was the only girl but she had a great time.



Five things I love about Dallin:

1. He is the most considerate person I know. He will always put others needs before his own without hesitation.

2. I can depend on him. He has been babysitting for us a lot lately and does a fantastic job. I get to come home to find the kids in bed, the food put away, and the house clean.

3. He's willing to try new things. Whatever I throw at him be it a new dish for dinner, a challenging sport (like a triathlon), a steep hike, or performing in a play, he's always willing to try and he always gives it his best.

4. He has a firm testimony of the gospel and Jesus Christ. He's not the first person to jump up and share his testimony but you can ask him anything about the church and he'll have a well thought out personal answer about what he believes. I'm often amazed at how much he understands and how well he can articulate things I didn't learn until I was in college.

5. He's just wonderful. When I found out my first baby would be a boy I was so nervous. I only had one brother growing up and I often misunderstood him and feel like I let him down. I'm no expert on boys and didn't even change Dallin's diaper until he was a few days old. In my heart I wanted my first son to be responsible, caring, helpful, and loving. Those were things I could understand, not cars, sports, and goofing off. For the past eleven years I've been thanking Heavenly Father for sending Dallin first. He is everything I asked for and more. He eased me into parenthood with his gentle personality, love, and patience. Austin is the boy I always dreaded but I find I enjoy his recklessness as an added spice to life. And, I can always run to the store and let Dallin babysit if I need a break from that crazy kid. What would I ever do without Dallin?

5 comments:

Nikki Jenson said...

That was beautiful. What a great kids you've got!

Ross and Kathy said...

When I was a young boy I was just like Dallin.

Britt said...

What a handsome, handsome boy! Happy birthday, Dallin!!!

Breanne said...

I love Dallin, too!

Stephanie T said...

Oh, you made me cry! He is a sweet, sweet boy! You are a wonderful mother and it is so comforting to see your influence on him too!