Monday, December 20, 2010

How Do You Feel?

My sister asked me the other day how I was feeling and I just grumbled something.  She laughed and said when people asked her that in her ninth month she just wanted to shout at them, "Shut Up!"  I thought that was pretty funny.  Most of the time I hurt so bad I feel like I have a permanent scowl on my face.  I've been trying to get into the holiday season to take my mind off of things but wasn't sure if it was working.  How good do you really feel when you only have three pants you can wear, one long sleeve shirt, a couple of sweaters that no longer cover your whole belly and you can't even begin to wrap a coat around you when it's freezing outside?

So I was really surprised when my mom sent me an email and told me she thought I looked like I was glowing at our family caroling party.  I couldn't begin to imagine what she was talking about.  But then I went to see a friend who told me I looked beautiful and ran into another friend at the store who said she thought I looked fantastic. I came home and looked in the mirror and didn't get it.  So then when Ryan told me he thought I looked like a movie star and I wanted to laugh in his face I paused and thought, "maybe he really means it?"  Maybe all these people are serious.  Then I was at the gas station and an old man walked right up to me.  I saw him coming and got that nervous feeling in my stomach like, please don't say something really weird or want to have some long strange conversation with me.  He said, "that was the most beautiful yawn I think I've ever seen."  It took me a second but then I realized I had just yawned.  I laughed and he smiled and walked away.

I've always heard that some people find pregnant women beautiful but honestly, when I see a nine month pregnant woman, my heart cringes and I just know how miserable she is.  I guess I've missed the beauty in it somehow.  And I've definitely never been the recipient of so many compliments when I know I'm waddling and every step I take hurts and I'm pretty sure the look on my face isn't one of pleasure and joy.  But I have to admit it has really made me feel special.

4 comments:

Jacque said...

I thought you looked really pretty at the caroling party, too. You really don't look like you're in your ninth month. =)

Erin said...

That is awesome that everyone thinks you look so amazing even when you don't feel like it! Just enjoy the compliments. I want to see a picture!

Barney Family said...

That's awesome!! Relish it, cause in a few weeks you're going to have milk stains on your chest!

Stephanie T said...

I think you better start believing it when so many tell you your beautiful. I've always thought you were very pretty pregnant or not!
And that is way better then people asking if you are sure you are not having twins:-)

It must be pretty magical to feel so pregnant at Christmastime just like Mary. I'm hoping you get one of your cool dates 1-1-11.