Friday, April 27, 2012

Training

Ryan and I have been training for the past couple of months for a half marathon which is coming up this Saturday April 28 and a few other races coming up in the next few weeks. We've been working out 5-6 days a week. We usually go to the gym or go running around 6 am which means we get up sometime between 5:15 and 5:30 am. It's been a real challenge, especially during the cold, dark, winter months. Sometimes we spent our Friday night date night at the pool in Orem trying to improve Ryan's swimming and sometimes we had to make sacrifices so the other person could work out when there were too many things going on for both of us to go.  Even Dallin and Cameron have helped out by taking care of Evelyn if she happens to wake up before we get home or watching her on Friday nights while we go swim.

One of my biggest challenges has been with Evelyn. She really doesn't like the daycare at the gym and I always worry that she'll pick up some kind of sickness when I take her. That's why I get up so early to exercise and rely on Dallin and Cameron to babysit. But some mornings, like today, it's hard to get up. I know I have that big race on Saturday, I'm still getting over that darn cough and I really wanted to sleep in. So today, Ryan offered to go in to work a little later so I could go to the gym and not have to worry about taking Evelyn. I took Cameron to orchestra and Dallin to school and got a nice quiet workout in all before 8:30 am. When I got home the kitchen was clean, the beds were made, and the other kids were off to school. Not only did Ryan help so I could get my workout in but he took care of most of my morning chores as well. It was so wonderful. I am so grateful for his continuous support. It's so much easier to train when I have someone to share it with. It's fun to share successes together and it's even better to complain together, when we're both sore and tired.  But it's the best when I know that he's willing to make sacrifices so I can accomplish my goals, just as I am willing to make sacrifices for him. 

Thanks Ryan for all your help and support.


When I was getting ready this morning and Ryan was finally ready to go to work we both happened to notice Evelyn trying to put on Eden's swim goggles. It was hilarious, so we paused to take a picture. That girl cracks me up.

3 comments:

Ross and Kathy said...

WAY TO GO RYAN - GOOD JOB TO THE BOTH OF YOU! SO, ARE YOU HAVING FUN TOO?

Nikki Jenson said...

Yeah for both of you! and good luck today on your races!

Ryan said...

Thanks for what you do too, Lauren. It's so fun to spend this kind of time with you.