Sunday, June 22, 2008

Oblivious

So, I had kind of a busy week and these next two stories seem to exemplify some of the consequences of being preocuppied with "other" things.

First of all, Tuesday morning I was rushing the kids out from swim team practice so we could get home for piano lessons and I could go to the grocery store. I was shooing Eden, Dallin, and Cameron in front of me like a gaggle of geese and suddenly panicked when I realized Austin wasn't with us. Frantically I called out, "do you guys see Austin? Does anyone see where Austin went?" Dallin and Cameron just glared at me like I was mad. I followed their line of sight to see Austin... in my arms.

Later that night I was, again frantically, trying to get dinner ready before we had to leave for Pack Night. I told all the kids to go downstairs and play so I could "concentrate" on what I was doing. About half an hour later I was making my final preparations when I noticed Austin pushing a toy box overflowing with something white down the hallway. My first thought was, why isn't he downstairs. Next I thought, what has he been doing up here if he hasn't been downstairs. My final thought was, what is in that box? I had a sinking feeling it wasn't his blanky. It was almost a whole role of toilet paper. The rest was still on the bathroom floor. I asked Dallin to quickly put it somewhere in the bathroom where it could be used again only to find Eden screaming later that she couldn't wash her hands because the sink was full of toilet paper. Needless to say, the whole thing ended up in the trash. Better to lose a dollar than any more of my sanity.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Glad to know others have days like that. Thanks for sharing. It made me laugh!

misha~sha-sha said...

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one whose summer is going like that. It's insane...and I only have 3!

The Lowe Fam said...

Made me laugh, too, because I feel like I've lost my mind half the time. I'm always doing things like that! Nice to hear it happens to other moms, too.