Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Saying Goodbye





My last night in Maui Lynne had a ceremony at the house to give us all an opportunity to say goodbye. In typical Hawaiian fashion we each took a leaf and placed in it items from around the house; flowers, sand from the beach, soil from Grandpa's garden, pebbles, etc. We then folded up the leaves and wrapped them in twine from Grandpa's shed.

Down at the beach we each took a moment then threw our offerings into the sea where they would be kept forever. We stayed until the sun set and then Jacque and I headed home.

I will miss this special place that has been a part of my life for so long. I'm grateful my Grandparents were able to create a paradise that we could come to and make so many wonderful memories from. But as Jacque put it, now it is up to us to create a home that will be a paradise for our children. A place where they will feel peace and serenity and make memories that will last a lifetime. Paradise doesn't have to be in Hawaii but can be any where we place our hearts and our love for one another.

My Grandfather spent years preparing financially, researching, and then considering the best place for his retirement. Then when he found it he put a lot of sweat and backwork into turning a dusty piece of lava rock into a home that has lasted for decades. He has always been a great example to me of hard work and sacrifice that had a great reward in the end.

Thank you Grandpa, for everything.

No comments: