Monday, August 31, 2009

Russia Samara Reunion

Last Friday I was able to attend the first Russia Samara Mission reunion in over ten years. My mission was a big part of my life and I believe I am who I am today because of the experiences I had there and the people I met and served with. It was great to see some of those people again on friday and talk about some of the experiences that we shared that hold such a tender place in my heart.

My mission president's wife was able to attend and it was so great to see her again. Her husband was a great man in so many ways. He came to the mission field full of energy and ideas and inspired me to work harder and learn more. His commitment to the gospel was clear and his love of the Lord visible in his smile and the love he showed to us. About a year after I came home I learned that doctors had found several tumors in his body. Within a few short months he passed away. I had a chance to ask his wife about that experience and was touched to hear her personal story of the struggle she went through during that time. But I was also impressed at how many memories she shared of the mission experience with her husband. I think I expected to find her loss overshadowed her experience but it seemed to be the other way around. Her experience in Russia has profoundly affected her life as it has mine and many others.

Over the past few months I have felt strongly impressed to share some of these experiences. I've started a personal blog where I've been writing down some of my memories from my mission. I don't want to forget how I got there and the things I experienced and I also want my children to know of the people on the other side of the world that have such great faith. I look forward to compiling these stories into a book that my children can keep. These experiences are very personal to me but I feel that others might benefit from them also. If you would be interested in reading these let me know and I will send you an invitation to the blog.

In a recent email my mission presidents wife shared this thought, "It was great to learn about your lives and your families, and then I noticed as the evening wore on, our conversations turned to Russia, the mission and the experiences we had there. It was such a significant time in our lives. The mission was exactly what we always believed it to be – something incredibly special and remarkable that we were allowed to be a part of. One of the last comments Pres. Wold made to me – just weeks before he died (when I was feeling very distraught) – was “The mission has prepared you for the years ahead.” I believe that statement could apply to most, if not all of you. My mission in Russia was a gift from God and changed my life forever." I couldn't agree more.

1 comment:

Here at home said...

Lauren, I would love to read your blog. I believe you have my email address. You have inspired me to write as well. Thanks for you great example and thanks for your help with the reunion. It really was a lot of fun. It brought back so many memories and with the feelings that were associated with those memories. I loved my mission and am so glad I was able to serve with you.