Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Kauai, The Garden Isle

Arriving in Nawiliwili Bay on Thursday morning. The island is beautiful.

We had a little trouble tracking down a rental car and lost a couple hours from our usual sprinting pace. Fortunately it was a small island and we were still able to get a lot in.

Spouting Horn.

Waimea Canyon.

Wouldn't you love to live here?

Our first idea this morning was to rent scooters but once we saw you couldn't ride double we got back on the phone looking for rental cars. At the scooter place, though, Dave and I noticed a map to a cool waterfall that you could jump off of called Kipu Falls. It was amazing we found it. There weren't any signs and the trail led through a jungle of grass that towered over my head. But the hike and the jump were worth it. (That really is Ryan letting go of the rope swing).

I had to do the jump three times to get a good picture, 'cause it's not worth it if you don't have proof, right? But the good one is on the Cutlers camera, I'll add it soon. I was pretty proud of myself, though. It was a long fall and I kept thinking, "why isn't this over yet" and "maybe I should close my eyes instead." Someone also forgot to tell me the importance of plugging your nose. But by the third try I had it all down.

Wailua Falls.


I think chickens are the Hawaiian state bird. But the chicken populations were the most severe on Kuaui. They were everywhere! Literally.

No comments: