Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tuesday Tidbit #5

Snack Time!

Summer's almost here!  In many ways I'm super excited for warm weather, swimming, and more hiking :), but as I looked at my empty snack cupboard today I remembered one part of summer I don't look forward to, hungry kids.  It seems like my kids eat twice as much in the summer as they do during the school year.  I was trying to think of some snacks I should buy when I decided to make a list of ideas for summertime snacks as part of my Tuesday Tidbit this week.  (Just a note: you may notice that my list will not include bread products.  That is not just because I would like to avoid processed flours but more because I'm gluten intolerant.  My kids do eat flour but I'm going to keep this list gluten free).

I would be really grateful if you could add ideas for snacks that you and your family enjoy; with flour or gluten free.

Clif Kid Z Bar - smaller than Clif bars and about half the calories these are great for throwing in your purse or backpack for summertime daytrips.  During the school year they're a great after school snack.

Fruit Leather - I love Stretch Island which I buy in bulk from Amazon.  My kids love the raspberry, grape, and strawberry but there are lots of flavors to choose from.

Baby carrots, sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes - these are great to throw in a bowl and eat during a movie.

Pudding

Yogurt

String Cheese

Popcorn

Nuts

Fruit: grapes, plums, apples, etc.  I love small fruits that don't have to be cut up but that a child can eat all of and not waste.

Canned peaches and pears - I always forget that I have these until dinnertime but when my kids had some after school the other day I thought of course, they're a perfect snack

Grandma's Homemade Granola Bars - I will post this recipe next week for my Tuesday Tidbit.  Watchout, they're addicting

Dallin's Fruit Smoothie - I'm thinking this will be our snack of choice this summer.  Dallin has become the master smoothie maker.  I buy bulk bags of frozen fruit such as raspberry's, berry mix, blueberries, and mango's.  I cut ripe bananas in half and freeze them in a Ziploc bag and I also froze a bunch of peaches in halves last summer.  Dallin uses combinations of these fruits to make his smoothies.  I think my favorite right now is Peach/Mango but here's a list of what else he adds:

fresh strawberries if we have them
1 scoop protein powder
1 package Emergen-C, either orange or raspberry depending on what fruit he's using
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ice
1 T flaxseed oil
sometimes 1 t honey
and he's starting to experiment with 1 small container plain Greek yogurt

For peach/mango he puts in 3 peach halves, 8 mango cubes, and 2 packs of orange emergen-C

For his regular smoothie he puts in 2 strawberries, 1 banana, 4 mango cubes, 1/2 C blueberries and raspberries and 1 pack of raspberry emergen-c.

Makes about 5-6 cups.

He wanted me to add that he doesn't like using blackberries because the seeds make it to hard to drink.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I agree with Dallin about blackberries -- the seeds are a bummer in smoothies. Strangely, when I eat them fresh it doesn't bother me.