Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tuesday Tidbit #6


Homemade Granola Bars

I got this recipe from my mom who found it online but of course we each add our "personal" touches that make it just right.  

Dry Mix
2 c. oats
¾ c. wheat germ (my mom uses oat bran) 
¾ c. sunflower seeds 
1 c. crushed peanuts (I love cashews chopped and my mom uses raw pumpkin seeds)
1 c. puffed rice
sometimes I add chopped walnuts or almonds for variety

Peanut Butter Mix
2/3 c peanut butter or almond butter
½ cup honey
4 T. butter (my mom uses cold pressed coconut oil)
1-2 T. vanilla added when mixture is removed from heat
½ teasp. Sea salt

(Simmer in saucepan just until melted)

Dried Fruit
8 ounces dried fruit; I love blueberries, cherries (chopped), and craisins but you can also try raisins and even apricots
1 Cup Semi Sweet chocolate chips



I like to combine all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  My mom usually toasts this but I decided I didn't like that.  If you would like to try toasting it, spread the dry mix onto a large cookie sheet and toast for 10 min @ 400 degrees.  Next I add all of my dried fruit and 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips.  Then I pour the hot peanut butter mixture over the top and quickly mix everything.  The chocolate chips will melt but I think that helps the bars hold together.

I pour the mix onto foil lined cookie sheets.  Then I use parchment paper to press the mix firmly into the pan.  Finally I roll over the mix with a rolling pin to press everything tightly together.  Refrigerate the cookie sheet for three hours then cut out individual size bars and place in "snack" size Ziploc bags and store in the freezer.  Watch out, these are seriously delicious.

No comments: