Thursday, July 14, 2011

Timberline NYLT

On Saturday June 25 we picked up Dallin from Timberline NYLT (national youth leadership training) scout camp.  It was his first week long camp ever and I was a wreck.  I had no idea I would miss him so much.  When we showed up that morning I was totally expecting my sweet sensitive son to get all teary eyed and tell me how much he missed me.  Nope.  But he did tell me how much fun he had and about all the trees he climbed.  He was in boy heaven.  He said he did cry a little when he read the letters Dad and I wrote him that they gave him on Thursday night but that was about it.  Man, I'm a wimp, I cried a lot more than that and even set a place for him at dinner.  I had this constant feeling all week that someone was missing.  It drove me bonkers not having all my little ducks tucked into bed safe and sound every night.

A friend of mine told me that one of the best ways to help boys become successful missionaries is to send them away from home to things like scout camps and youth conferences as much as possible.  I can see now how that can help boys feel confident and independent but I can also see how it will help me to be prepared to say goodbye to him for two years.  How many of these camps can I send him to? 


Mama duck, papa duck, and all my little ducks safe and sound.







Dallin's two cousins Kale and Kolby invited him to the camp and kept a careful eye on him all week but he also had one of his best friends, Carter, in his troop.  I guess they were inseparable because they won the Best Buds award.  Dallin and Carter are in different grades and I know it was great for Dallin to get to spend so much time with someone he hardly saw at all last year.


I can't believe how fast these two kids are growing up.

3 comments:

Ross and Kathy said...

Yah, what are you going to do when that big house of yours is empty?

Shaun & April said...

I hear you. I keep looking for MaKenna and asking Kyson where she is when we load up in the car. Girl's camp this year seems especially long with her attending it.

Ryan said...

Ross, we were thinking of moving in with you?