Tuesday, November 15, 2011

San Francisco

As you already know I got to go with Ryan on his business trip to San Francisco from October 23-27. Here's the room we got upgraded to because we mentioned we wanted a fridge I could put milk in for my breakfast in the morning.  It came with an entire kitchen, washer/dryer, dining area, living area, small office and bedroom.  


And it had an amazing view...



We stayed in the heart of downtown SF and had a blast finding hole in the wall places to eat that were rated 4 stars or higher with our Yelp app.  But mostly I stayed in the room and got caught up on my blog.  I did 27 posts in 2 days!  It was thrilling (but it also gave me a headache).

Tuesday night Ryan was done with meetings by 4 so we decided to walk to Chinatown for dinner.  We picked up souvenirs for the kids along the way mostly in the form of warm hats for winter.  After dinner we were still looking for something cute for Evelyn when we noticed these...


We got Evelyn the one on the bottom right and talked to the lady that worked there for half an hour.  When I told her I had five kids she said, "You Crazy!  Me, I had three kids, and they made me Crazy, just crazy.  You have too many, you go crazy!" I'm still laughing about that.  She was so cute.  Usually those store owners try to talk to you so they can convince you to buy more but as we left she said, "Wait, you forgot your free gift."  And she gave us a sweet little paper fan.  I told her I would put her hats on my blog in case anyone was interested in them (I have her business card with her number).  They are all hand made by her sister in law and mother in law.  According to her she says, "They don't speak English, they have nothing better to do."  She was seriously hilarious.  She also said, "I tell them to make Angry Birds, they say, what's Angry Birds?"


Wednesday morning Ryan and I decided to rent a car so we could go across the Golden Gate Bridge and see what was on the other side.  The rental places were sold out or wanted to charge $100 until I mentioned to one that Ryan had a gold card.  We got a car for $50, walked a block to the rental place, and listened in line for a minute while they turned people away because they were sold out.

We drove across the bridge and had lunch at a great little Greek Deli in Sausilito (thanks again Yelp).  Then we headed up the highway to find some lighthouse Ryan wanted to see that was only 30 miles away.  When I plugged it in to my navigator it said to get off the freeway at the next exit (crazy lucky) and drive for an hour and a half!  It was a cool drive, though, so we didn't mind.


The Point-Reyes lighthouse.  It was way out in the middle of nowhere.


We drove down Hwy 1 back towards the bridge and decided to take a detour at Mount Tamalpais State Park hoping we would find some Redwood trees.

And there they were...




We just don't have trees like this in Utah.



On our way back to the bridge we stopped by Muir Park to see more cool trees.  By this point I was feeling really carsick, though and ready to get back to the hotel.



It was a really great trip and a wonderful break.  And what did my kids do while we were gone?  They played with my sister Breanne, her husband Michael, and their little girl Jane.

I got texts like these from Breanne...


Just so I wouldn't forget to miss my cute kids.

3 comments:

Breanne said...

I totally want some of those angry birds hats! I need that lady's number.

Jacque said...

That was an awesome post. What a great trip. We went to Muir Park and it's beautiful. I'm glad your kids were in good hands and that those hands sent you cute little reminders to get home quick! lol

Ross and Kathy said...

Now THAT'S what I like to see - what a great post - Thanks