Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tuesday Tidbit #7

Homemade Applesauce

I thought for my kids I would do a post about canning applesauce.  I love canning every fall.  I usually do peaches, pears, salsa, applesauce, and peach raspberry jam.  It makes an already busy season just a little crazier but it's worth it to have all that tasty fruit and salsa all winter.  I wanted to take pictures of all the things I canned and leave instructions for each of them but that didn't happen.  I only got pictures of applesauce this year so maybe I can get the others next year.


I start with Golden Delicious apples that I pick up from The Big Red Barn in Santaquin.


I peel them and take out the centers.


Then I collect the prepared apples in a large bowl of cool water with Fruit Fresh sprinkled in to keep them from turning brown.


As soon as the bowl is full I put the apples in a basket inside of a large pot that has a few cups of water boiling in the bottom.  Then I steam them until they're soft.


Once they're soft I put them in the food processor and blend them until smooth.


I collect the pureed apples in a large pot and keep it on low on the stove (or even turn the heat off) otherwise it will splatter.  Then I add sugar until it tastes slightly sweet.  Finally I put the applesauce in hot quart jars and process for 25 min.


They turn out beautiful and delicious.